Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Is it okay to not use the term "sequential art"?


For the past 20 years I have read comics. They have been a huge part of my growing up. They are connected to many of my childhood memories. Now, I read many crime graphic novels, indies, and old misc. stuff. Why do I say it like this? Is it because I am afraid to admit that I was such a huge superhero comic reader. I read many of the mainstream Marvel books growing up. Wait. Wait wait wait... this is starting to come across as a confession. Should I look for the cultural value in all these hours/days spent reading? Should I look for the historical/literary references? Nah, although they will probably seep through as I try to come to terms with this early addiction and how it has effected my life today. Instead of listing my favorites or all the series I have read (which would add up to more literature books than I've ever read) I'll try to stay on topic with why they are so enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how a lot of people say that X-Men was about the segregation of races, and the creater used Mutants to demonstrate it.
    -Bethanyyy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comic book is the written companion of the ultimate geek! just kidding!
    I recently went to Farmington Fair in Maine, and bought two "Willow" comic books. I absolutely love that movie. They were published in 1987. It's really interesting reading along with the movie. And don't take offense to the 'geek' thing, we are ALL geeks in some way or another. :) Have fun at the convention in Boston!

    ReplyDelete